Update September 15 2016: A $1.42 billion contract (adjusted to 2016 dollars) has been signed between the Province of Alberta and Mountain View Partners for the construction of the Southwest Calgary Ring Road project. Click here for details.
Update July 8 2016: The Alberta Government have entered into an interim agreement with Mountain View Partners to begin initial work on the Southwest Calgary Ring Road project. Click here for more.
The Government of Alberta has shortlisted three consortia to bid on the Southwest Calgary Ring Road project, following the completion of the Request for Qualification (RFQ) process in August. Five groups in total responded to the request, with Mountain View Partners, Southwest Connect and Valley Link Partners having been selected.1
The Province is proceeding with the Southwest Calgary Ring Road as a 30-year Design-Build-Finance-Operate P3 (Public/Private Partnership) project, and is anticipating to contribute partial funding of between 50%-70% of the capital cost of the project.2 The selected groups will now submit proposals for the project in a Request for Proposal (RFP) process that should last about nine months.3
Representatives of Alberta Transportation have indicated that the contract for the Southwest Calgary Ring Road project is to be awarded in the first week of September 2016.
The RFP process includes:
- “Outlining preliminary details of the design, including the roadway, bridges and other elements of the project”
- “Outlining their management plan and schedule for the construction of the project”
- “Detailing how they plan to provide partial financing for the construction of the project; and”
- “Outlining their management plan to operate, maintain and rehabilitate this segment of the Calgary Ring Road over the 30-year operations period.“3
The shortlisted groups are4:
Mountain View Partners
- Project Lead: Meridiam Infrastructure North America Fund II, as managed by Meridiam Infrastructure North America Corp.
- Financing Lead: Meridiam Infrastructure North America Fund II, as managed by Meridiam Infrastructure North America Corp.
- Design-Construction Lead: Kiewit Management Co.
- Operation and Maintenance Lead: Alberta Highway Services Ltd.
- Project Lead: HOCHTIEF PPP Solutions North America Inc., ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc., Aecon Concessions, a division of Aecon Construction Group Inc., Carillion Canada Inc.
- Financing Lead: ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc.
- Design-Construction Lead: Flatiron Constructors Canada Limited
- Operation and Maintenance Lead: HOCHTIEF PPP Solutions North America Inc.
Valley Link Partners
- Project Lead: VINCI Concessions SAS, Acciona Concesiones S.L., Acciona S.A.
- Financing Lead: Acciona Concesiones SL, VINCI Concessions SAS
- Design-Construction Lead: Acciona Infraestructuras SA, Eurovia S.A.S., VINCI Construction S.A.S.
- Operation and Maintenance Lead: Eurovia SAS, VINCI Concessions SAS
With thanks to John Masters
1 “Three groups qualify to bid on Southwest Calgary Ring Road” Press Release, Government of Alberta. September 18 2015. http://alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=38547D3E9E014-CB10-AD57-5723D56763CC57C1
2 “Opportunity Notice Southwest Calgary Ring Road Design, Build, Finance Operate” Government of Alberta. Retrieved July 14 2015. http://vendor.purchasingconnection.ca
3 “Calgary Ring Road Update – Frequently Asked Questions” Government of Alberta. Retrieved September 19 2015. http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/5689.htm
4 “Southwest Calgary Ring Road Bidders” Government of Alberta. Retrieved September 19 2015. http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/documents/RFQThreeProponents.docx